My full-time job is Professor of New Testament at Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I have served on the faculty there since 2002.
I also work part-time (as of January 2020) as Scholar for Adult Education at Westminster Presbyterian Church of Minneapolis.
To learn more about books I have recently written or edited, visit my Books page. I am currently working on two new books, a textbook that surveys how the New Testament talks about salvation and a commentary on the Acts of the Apostles.
If you are interested in information about my teaching, the fuller range of my work at Luther Seminary, my educational and professional history, and my formal academic publications, I invite you to visit my academic website, which is hosted by Luther Seminary, by clicking here.
Here are selected examples of my academic and professional work:
Co-host of Sermon Brainwave, a weekly podcast that helps preachers engage the biblical texts assigned for the upcoming Sunday
Contributor to reference books, journals, curricula, and other resources for scholars, preachers, students, and Bible readers, including:
- The New Interpreter’s Bible One-Volume Commentary (Abingdon Press, 2010)
- Theological Bible Commentary (Westminster John Knox Press, 2009)
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Theology (Oxford University Press, 2015)
- Connections: A Lectionary Commentary for Preaching and Worship (Westminster John Knox Press, 2018-2020)
- Feasting on the Word: Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary, Year C, Volume 3 (Westminster John Knox Press, 2010)
- Feasting on the Gospels: Luke, Volume 2 (Westminster John Knox Press, 2014)
- The New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (Abingdon Press, 2006-2009)
- Covenant Bible Study (Abingdon Press, 2014)
- The periodical Interpretation: A Journal of Bible and Theology
- The periodical Journal for Preachers
- The periodical Currents in Theology and Mission
- The website WorkingPreacher.org
- The website EnterTheBible.org
One of the original architects of, and a frequent writer for, ON Scripture–The Bible, which was a weekly online column bringing the Bible into conversation with current events
Keynote speaker and preacher at conferences such as Festival of Homiletics, Working Preacher Presents: The Craft of Preaching, and Luther Seminary’s Midwinter Convocation.
Book reviews published in a range of periodicals, including:
The Anglican Theological Review, The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, The Christian Century, Interpretation, Journal of Biblical Literature, Journal of Theological Studies, Modern Believing, Review of Biblical Literature, Religious Studies Review, Scottish Journal of Theology, Theology Today, and Word & World
Articles and blogs published online by: Beliefnet, Common Ground News Service, Day 1, The Huffington Post, New Media Project, On Being Blog, The Parliament Blog, Patheos, and Sojourners.
Participation in professional workshops and consultations focused on writing theology, effective pedagogy, and teaching biblical interpretation
Research grants awarded by The Louisville Institute and Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion
Advanced research as a member in residence at the Center of Theological Inquiry in Princeton, New Jersey (2008-2009)
Earned degrees from Brown University and Princeton Theological Seminary