Since 2002 I have been a member of the faculty of Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota. If you are interested in information about my teaching there, my educational history, and my formal academic publications, I invite you to visit my academic website by clicking here.
To learn more about books I have recently written or edited, visit my Books page.
Here are some details of my academic accomplishments:
Contributions to several reference books and resources for preachers, students, and Bible readers, including:
- The New Interpreter’s Bible One-Volume Commentary (Abingdon Press, 2010)
- Theological Bible Commentary (Westminster John Knox Press, 2009)
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Theology (Oxford University Press, forthcoming in 2014)
- Feasting on the Word: Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary, Year C, Volume 3 (Westminster John Knox Press, 2010)
- The New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (Abingdon Press, 2006-2009)
- Covenant Bible Study (Abingdon Press, forthcoming in spring 2014)
- The website WorkingPreacher.org and the podcast Sermon Brainwave
- The website EnterTheBible.org
Member of the editorial board for ON Scripture, a weekly online column bringing the Bible into conversation with current events
Book reviews published in a variety of periodicals, including:
The Anglican Theological Review, The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, The Christian Century, Interpretation, Journal of Biblical Literature, Modern Believing, Review of Biblical Literature, Religious Studies Review, Scottish Journal of Theology, Theology Today, and Word & World
Other articles and blogs published online by: Beliefnet, Common Ground News Service, Day 1, The Huffington Post, New Media Project at Union Theological Seminary, On Being Blog, The Parliament Blog, Patheos, and Sojourners.
Participation in professional workshops and consultations focused on writing theology, effective pedagogy, and teaching biblical interpretation
Research grants awarded by The Louisville Institute and Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion
Advanced research as a member in residence at the Center of Theological Inquiry in Princeton, New Jersey (2008-2009)