I am a Professor of New Testament at Luther Seminary in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I have served on the faculty there since 2002.
To learn more about books I have recently written or edited, visit my Books page. I am currently working on a new book, an introductory textbook on the whole New Testament.
If you are interested in information about my teaching, the fuller range of my work at Luther Seminary, my educational and professional history, and my formal academic publications, I invite you to visit my academic website, which is hosted by Luther Seminary, by clicking here.
Here are some examples of my academic accomplishments, which characterize my professional life in addition to the articles and off-campus teaching described elsewhere on my website:
Contributions to several reference books and resources for preachers, students, and Bible readers, including:
- The New Interpreter’s Bible One-Volume Commentary (Abingdon Press, 2010)
- Theological Bible Commentary (Westminster John Knox Press, 2009)
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Theology (Oxford University Press, 2015)
- Feasting on the Word: Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary, Year C, Volume 3 (Westminster John Knox Press, 2010)
- Feasting on the Gospels: Luke, Volume 2 (Westminster John Knox Press, 2014)
- The New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (Abingdon Press, 2006-2009)
- Covenant Bible Study (Abingdon Press, 2014)
- The website WorkingPreacher.org and the weekly podcast Sermon Brainwave
- The website EnterTheBible.org
Cofounder, member of the original editorial board, and frequent writer for ON Scripture–The Bible, a weekly online column bringing the Bible into conversation with current events
Book reviews published in a range of periodicals, including:
The Anglican Theological Review, The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, The Christian Century, Interpretation, Journal of Biblical Literature, Modern Believing, Review of Biblical Literature, Religious Studies Review, Scottish Journal of Theology, Theology Today, and Word & World
Participation in professional workshops and consultations focused on writing theology, effective pedagogy, and teaching biblical interpretation
Research grants awarded by The Louisville Institute and Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion
Advanced research as a member in residence at the Center of Theological Inquiry in Princeton, New Jersey (2008-2009)